Monday, October 18, 2010

The Great Pumpkin



Today I pay homage to the pumpkin. The great pumpkin. That usually roundish, often cumbersome, seasonally decorative squash and all it's variations. Orange pumpkins, variegated green pumpkins or white "ghost" pumpkins (which I happen to have a special affinity for). Naturally, decorating with them this time of year is a given, so I won't even broach that subject for the moment. You already know to put one, or a dozen, on your front step. Lets discuss other forms of pumpkinly worship instead, shall we?
Like, paint? (You know I have to take it "there." ) Paint is a perfect way to keep that warm, festive energy all year round. A burnt orange or spicy terracotta color will compliment any decor. Striking and fresh with white trim, or warm and cozy with richer, darker trims and furnishings. It's a bold and brave choice and I love it! Take a look at this delicious pumpkin pie paint color from Sherwin Williams, Yam #6643:



Or... consider wearing your affection with some jewelry! These earrings were made by my friend Karley of Loubird Handmade. The translucent cognac color is delicious and would compliment any skin tone.


More ways to honor the pumpkin? Why, treats, of course! Obviously, a pumpkin isn't just lovely to look at, it's downright yummy. In our house, we love to make pumpkin bread and pie...and often! Last Fall, I was on a mission to taste every pumpkin donut in town. Some were better than others, but, truly? I'm not fussy. A donut is a donut is a donut...and I? Enjoy a donut.
But, back to pumpkins...one of my absolute favorite treats are the homemade pumpkin whoopie pies sold at the Rochester Public Market. Sunshine and love in a tiny cake sandwich is what they really should be called.



Another seasonal must is Pumpkin Spice coffee! Nowadays, it's sold everywhere...Dunkin Donuts, Tim Horton's, Starbucks and Panera all have their own version. But, I prefer brewing some Finger Lakes Roasters right here at home each morning.
If coffee's not your thing, don't forget my pumpkin martini post from last week. Keep checking back for more seasonally inspired food and drink recipes!


Pumpkin love. Eat it, drink it, decorate it, paint it, wear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment