Thursday, April 28, 2011

Couches, Chairs & Musicals, Oh My...

So much is happening right now. Spring is here and the temperature is rising. The green is emerging from a long (an extra long!) Winter's nap. Spring is about new beginnings and growth, right?  That fits into my life both literally and figuratively this year. If you read this little blog, you already know all about "Tommy" and what this experience has meant in my life.


     (that would be me in the go go boots on the left)


But, I am also thoroughly enjoying the new decor projects that are lining up! Soon I will have a new space to fill up with "new" furnishings and fabulous finds. I love the hunt for pieces with great bones...(and I love paying next to nothing for them, as well.)  Here are two great examples of good bones and good deals:



I found this fantastic, vintage French style sofa on Craigslist. It is in amazing condition with a great nubby, neutral fabric that can find a home in practically any decorating style. With me, it will live in a sort of retro mod meets Hollywood Regency styled room. It's long and can seat many, but low profile so it won't feel like so much furniture. I am not touching this. I will just change out pillows as the mood or season strikes me.
I found this matching tufted chair at my local Salvation Army:




This also has wonderful bones and is on wheels which is a nice bonus. At $19.99, it was a steal. The cliche is true, "They really don't make furniture like they used to..."
The fabric on this is well worn, so I will be recovering it. If you have ever priced out upholstery fabric, you know it can be very expensive. I like to scour Ebay for large  remnants. They're a fraction of the cost. I went with a very big, bold black and off white chenille check.  I think I will angle it so it's more of a harlequin pattern, and add black piping and black buttons. I got 8+ yards of this for less than $50. 




I am a total sucker for black check. It goes with everything and brings to mind MacKenzie Childs, which I have written about before. It's a weakness of mine.
So, stay tuned!  As things slow down a bit, I will back, fully inspired by new people, places and things. And? It's almost flea market season!!!!! Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment