- *4 cups fresh blackberries
- *3/4 cup sugar
- *1 1/2 cups water
- *2 750-ml. bottles rosé wine
- *1 cup cognac
- *1/4 cup lemon or lime juice
- *3 cups sliced peaches and/or plums
- *Fresh basil sprigs (optional)
- For the syrup, in a medium saucepan* combine 2 cups of the berries, the sugar, water, and a dash of salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Strain through a colander, pressing gently without crushing the fruit; discard berries. Cool syrup.
- For sangria, in a gallon jar or pitcher combine the blackberry syrup, rosé wine, cognac, lemon juice, fruit, and a few sprigs of basil, if desired. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 24 hours.
- Serve with ice, additional fruit, and basil. Makes 13 cups (26, four-oz. servings).
- OLE! (props to Better Homes and Gardens for this 5 star rated recipe!)